Diane and Hannah are joined by a special guest: Libbie Hawker! Libbie has written a fabulous new book on how to outline your novel entitled Take Off Your Pants!: Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing. Both Diane and Hannah love this book and highly recommend you pick up a copy. If you’ve always been a pantser, the book describes how to become a plotter and outline your novel from the point of view of developing your main character’s arc: understand your characters, understand what they’re trying to do, and understand what’s getting in their way…all before committing to tens of thousands of words.
Also, all that stuff in the middle of Act 2? Libbie gives you a really great way of figuring out what goes in there…and why.
During the podcast, we refer to some slides that Hannah puts on screen, all of which we have included on this page.
We got so into this interview that we forgot to decide on the topic for next week’s podcast ahead of time. So, check back here!
Books and media mentioned:
- Take Off Your Pants!: Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing by Libbie Hawker
- Gotta Read It! – Five Simple Steps to a Fiction Pitch That Sells by Libbie Hawker
- Tidewater: A Novel of Pocahontas and the Jamestown Colony by Libbie Hawker
- The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller by John Truby
- Story: Style, Structure, Substance, and the Principles of Screenwriting by Robert McKee