Hannah and Diane discuss finishing your work and why that’s an important skill to develop. And when you have to learn you’re spending too long on a story. How to get over the hard part…and avoid falling into the perfectionism trap.
You have to finish things — that’s what you learn from, you learn by finishing things.
Some of the things mentioned on the podcast:
- Why finishing your stuff is important
- Where your problem with finishing comes from — perfectionism, the artist’s worst friend
- National Novel Writing Month and how it can help you. Diane and Hannah disagree on how to pronounce its shortened version, NaNoWriMo.
- Habit tracking. Learn Jerry Seinfeld’s productivity secret! Requires a calendar and a red pen.
- And more about The Plot Whisperer!
Book and media recommendations mentioned
- Barbara Sher, author of I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was
- The Organized Mind by Daniel Levitin
- Take Off Your Pants by Libbie Hawker
- Habit tracking apps, such as HabitKeeper
Two things about this podcast:
- At the end of today’s podcast, Hannah leads an EFT tapping round on conquering your fear of finishing things. It’s pretty awesome. It starts at 39:30.
- There IS a problem with an echo starting at about minute 32 of the podcast — don’t worry, we don’t talk for too much past that point, but it is there.