Diane and Hannah discuss getting into the writing flow, habits, and how to tell yourself you really, really are a writer. Because you’re the first one who’s got to believe that before you convince anyone else.
Hannah and Diane also talk their daily schedules, the importance of habit, and removing decision points from your day.
YOUR TURN: Hannah wants to know if you would be interested in her doing an EFT meditation on removing blocks to getting started with your writing. Drop us a line at podcast @ the21stcenturywriter . com (You know the drill: remove the spaces.)
Some of the things mentioned on the podcast:
- Hannah listens to Deepak Chopra meditations to get her day started.
- Diane listens to one of the sets of affirmations available from Farnoosh Brock
- The game Pandemic is FABULOUS. Buy it immediately.
- Habit stacking: this is a technique of linking one habit you want to add into your life to another habit you already do. For example, my habit of brushing my teeth every night is pretty ingrained. That might be a good time to add a habit of looking over my calendar for the next day, to remind myself of what’s coming up. As these new habits become ingrained, you can add new ones…thereby, stacking them.
- Tiny Habits: this is a program run by Stanford professor BJ Fogg in which you learn to link a new habit to a habit you already have ingrained. For example, he does one pushup every time he goes to the bathroom. (And then he washes his hands, I presume.)
Book and media recommendations mentioned
- Habit Stacking: 97 Small Life Changes That Take Five Minutes or Less by SJ Scott
- 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love by Rachel Aaron
- Farnoosh Brock’s affirmations program, “Positive Affirmations for Life.” Her blog is “Prolific Living.”
- Deepak Chopra’s Meditations
- The board game Pandemic